I have the keys, but...

For the gearheads in the audience
crated51

I have the keys, but...

Post by crated51 »

The emergency key in my wallet is sealed in metal duct tape signed with wife's initials - zero possibility of accessing without evidence of tampering.
Her key is held in a small metal tube with a fingerprint padlock preventing its use. Zero possibly of accessing without her permission. :shock:
2 x
It's not happy people that are thankful, it's thankful people that are happy.
LockedByBD
Re: I have the keys, but...

Post by LockedByBD »

crated51 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:00 pm Zero possibly of accessing without her permission. :shock:
As it should be...
0 x
Locked when my wife wants it locked.
UltraWhiteStar

Post by UltraWhiteStar »

We used a numbered plastic seal to secure the emergency key, but my wife didn’t like that. It was tamper-proof but also easy to get to. Now the key is in a steel key-box with a combination lock. If I ever need it, I have to call her to give me the combination. And just in case, the key is still sealed inside... I realize that in an emergency, this might make things complicated but I will just have to deal with it then.
0 x
Not in control.
crated51

Post by crated51 »

The fingerprint padlock took some time in understanding how to save a fingerprint (had to read the instructions), but the simplicity is profound. Access to the key is controlled by her willingness to place her finger on the lock (small square pad). No combination number to remember.

The unlocking process has a small motor releasing the hasp so that gives a little dramatic effect. There is also a beep and a tiny red flash if her finger is not placed correctly on the pad, which give a ominous hint that the key might remain unavailable. Don't think there is a limit on the number of attempts - other than her deciding it wasn't meant to be.
0 x
It's not happy people that are thankful, it's thankful people that are happy.
locked4her55

Post by locked4her55 »

crated51 wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:19 pm Access to the key is controlled by her willingness to place her finger on the lock (small square pad). No combination number to remember.
I mounted this on the wall in the bedroom closet. This is where she keeps the key to my CD.
combo safe.jpg
combo safe.jpg (6.47 KiB) Viewed 1450 times
The fingerprint lock would be easier for her but not for our current situation. I'm home most everyday and M-F she is at work. Should an emergency arise (as UltraWhiteStar mentioned) all I have to do is call her, describe the need to be released and if warranted she will give me the combination. She can choose a new lock combo when she gets home.

Unless of course I pulled a James Bond (Diamonds Are Forever) and had her fingerprint available. :lol:
0 x
Happily secured since 4/2010 :-)
Have worn CB3000, CB6000s, MM Jail Bird & Watchful Mistress,
DHgate A271 & 273, DHgate Full Stainless Steel Belt & DHgate HT nub
Currently wearing A273