Cobra cage allergic reaction

For the gearheads in the audience
nosaint
Last orgasm: January 21st, 2024
Orgasms this year: 3
Cobra cage allergic reaction

Post by nosaint »

I recently switched to a Cobra N+ cage. after about 12 hours of wear, my dick was on fire. :o The skin on my penis peeled twice! They do disclose on their FAQ page that fewer than 1% of people may have an allergic reaction. If I read that, I ignored it. I mean fewer than 1% and I have no known allergies, doesn't sound like a real risk to me. It was.
If you're allergic, you should notice quickly. Pity, the wife liked the look of it. Presumably they are looking at other colors, what ever they use to make it black seems to be the problem. I couldn't wear any cage for about two weeks while I healed.
I've not seen this mentioned on any discussion of Cobra cages, so I thought I'd put it out.
0 x
Caged 24/7 since January 23,2024. Locked in a Cherry Keeper Micro
Tom Allen
Site Admin
Last orgasm: April 1st, 2018
Orgasms this year: 0

Re: Cobra cage allergic reaction

Post by Tom Allen »

Wow, the dye in the nylon is causing a reaction?
0 x
nosaint

Post by nosaint »

from their FAQ page
Black KINK3D products are colored with a skin-safe dye containing paraphenylenediamine (PPD). PPD is widely used in hair dyes, beard dyes, and consumer clothing.

A small percent of people (in our experience, 0.1-1%) exhibit skin sensitivity. The sensitivity is usually noticeable quickly. If you experience a reaction, we suggest that you stop using the product right away, and symptoms should cease within a few days to a week.

KINK3D products in colors other than black are hypoallergenic, and we are not aware of any reports of skin sensitivity.

Of course, they don't currently offer any color other than black...
0 x
Leaking_Laura

Post by Leaking_Laura »

I can speak from the same experience on this sadly. I bought a Cobra cage a few weeks ago and my gf loved it. at First I only wore it for short moments during play. After about two week I experienced that I had several red patches of skin on my cockhead and the very thin first layer of skin was slightly peeling off. Not alarmed by it I thought it had to be from my head being exposed to the rougher texture of the cage/open design and it scrubbing in my pants.

Fast forward to last night, me and my gf had a long play session and at the end of the evening I was allowed to take the cage of. Well I can say the places that previously touched the cage where very very red and it hurt when I took the cage off. Wherever the cage has touched my skin it was inflamed and this morning I had large patches of inflammation over the skin of my penis and balls where the cage had been in touch with it.

Some searching of the symptoms of paraphenylenediamine (PPD) allergy responses notes exactly what you (nosaint) and I experienced:
- Red (painfull) inflamed skin
- Itching
- Blisters
- Peeling of skin
- Swelling of skin
- Infection of the lymphatic nodes

Symptoms can develop within 48 hours of being in contact with PPD and can last between several days to several months depending on the severity of the allergic response.

These are serieus complications and just like you. I did not expect to have an allergic response from this material since I own several black chastity cages and never had an allergic response to it before.

The chemical causing this is also used in alot of hair dye's etc. the fact that they state fewer than 1% having a response to it is not correct. According to research papers, about 7.1% of the general population is allergic to this compound.

So I will be without a cage for 2+ weeks till everything is healed and doesn't feel itchy/stingy anymore. I asked the creators from kink3d when they plan to release a hypoallergenic version of this cage (a non black dyed one :-)). And I hope that will be soon since my gf does totally love the design on these.

So if you tend to own/buy these cages, I would strongly advice to carefully test if you are allergic to PPD. If there is one place you don't want to feel stingy/itchy/on fire all the time, its your dick :roll: .
1 x
nosaint

Post by nosaint »

Yes, I've had black "plastic" devices in the past with no issues. I emailed them asking if they had heard of this, before I found their FAQ page, no response. I experienced a definite loss of sensation, probably due to several layers of dead skin. After 5 weeks of denial, my wife was going to allow me to orgasm. I couldn't come close. Luckily, that passed and I was ok by the following weekend.
0 x
Leaking_Laura

Post by Leaking_Laura »

Right now im experiencing mostly terrible inflamation and a spot that had previous been exposed to the cage has started to slightly flake skin. I have a doctors appointment later today to let them take a look at the situation. I will bring the cage with me to show them and hopefully they have something to treat the skin to help it restore. Till then I am using antihistamines to counter the itching response from the skin damage. Will drop an update here later when I got more information from the doctor for anyone else who might find this post experiencing the same as we did.
0 x
Leaking_Laura

Post by Leaking_Laura »

and the promised update, been to the doctor. It is indeed an allergic response to PPD. I have to use antihistamine pills for a week and apply an ointment with cortisode steroids on the skin till the symptoms lessen and then gradually reduce the amount of times I have to apply it.

Yay for allergies. Hopefully it will be back to normal in a week. :)
1 x
nosaint

Post by nosaint »

Well they did respond, somehow I didn't see it until Friday, it was dated Monday. They asked a very reasonable question. I had ordered a Cobra S narrow several weeks prior, did I have any problems with that? The answer is, I did wear it for 2 weeks or so, continuously. There was some irritation that I put down to being a bad fit. I had to take it off for a week to heal. When the N+ std. arrived I quickly put it on. The N+ is slightly shorter and wider than the S narrow. It was the N+ that caused me to really notice a problem. After 12 hours of wear, I was in agony. The base ring does not seem to be causing any issues. I used the original base ring with both cages.

So the N+ was the bigger problem. It could be there was more constant contact with my penis, or I was building a sensitivity to the PPD and the N+ was the last step. Or, and I really suspect this, there were different amounts of PPD in the two cages. They print the devices first, then dye them. If a human is doing the measuring, the amounts of each ingredient will vary. Or very possible, the dye batch was not mixed well for one of the cages causing either the first to get to little PPD or the second to get too much PPD.

They have offered me a discount when they introduce their hypoallergenic devices in 2022. With my luck, the first and only color offered will be pink. Which makes total sense from a marketing standpoint, but a color my wife is 100% against.
0 x
Sparkster

Post by Sparkster »

I bought 2 Cobra cages. One from Amazon, which is basically a knock off, but I wanted to try it for fit and comfort before spending a lot of money. The Amazon on lasted about two weeks before the ring the lock goes through broke. At that point I bought one from Mr. S Leather. It has a much smother finish and has been very durable. I have been wearing it most of the time for about two months with no problem. I don't wear 24/7 because I can't comfortably wear one at work. Also sometime the head of the penis shifts around and if you are not paying attention, when sitting to piss the urethrae is not pointed out the main opening and you wind up pissing all over yourself, your clothes and the toilet. I'm not into water sports or piss play, so it was very unpleasant for me and required a lol of clean up. Aside from that I have been very happy with the Cobra cage. I have skin conditions and allergies.
0 x
creampieeatin

Post by creampieeatin »

Guess I'll find out soon. Just placed an order with kink3d. My last 2 steel cages wound up having rust issues which has been surprising with both manufacturers saying they use high grade steel to prevent rust. Shockingly, neither of them have responded to e-mails. So, I figured I'ld try something where rust wouldn't be an issue and could make a couple tweaks to get a better fit.
0 x
Kink3D Cobra S 1.05 #2 SD