3D printed devices

For the gearheads in the audience
Weaponx

3D printed devices

Post by Weaponx »

I was interested to see who has used a 3D printed device and how it held up under daily usage. My idea was to made a 3D printed version of a jailbird from MatureMetal. That way I could fine tune the measurements before ordering one in steel. Any info you have would be appreciated.
0 x
Homebody

Re: 3D printed devices

Post by Homebody »

Many use 3d printed devices from Cherry Keeper or Cobra. These hold up great. But they are designed from the start to use those materials. I don't know if a design intended for Stainless Steel with thin bars would hold up with plastic or nylon. You could use it for fit though.
0 x
computerotter

Post by computerotter »

As Homebody said, materials matter.
Depending on how you plan on sourcing your cage, you can get it made from different materials.
If you buy your print through an online service, you might even get metal sintered prints (though that's really pricey).
I have a printer at home, so here's what you can do with low cost 3d printing at home.
PLA and other similar materials have largely replaced ABS in home 3D printing because of higher strength and easier printing. PLA is not flexible, though you can get other materials that are somewhat flexible and print them on a cheap printer at home.
3D printed stuff is not food safe right off the printer, so some post processing like sanding and maybe even coating in another material is recommended.
You can leave out the coating, but sand your cage smooth or you can say goodbye to your skin.
I am currently self-locked in a cage I downloaded from ThingiVerse, which is a website that shares printable 3d models.
I printed a lot of different printable cages, but the ones I find the most comfort in are the KB3D lineup by KinkyBiologist on Twitter (not an ad)
Don't be discouraged by the price of a printer either: I use a Creality Ender 3 (not an ad either) which is available for about 130€ right now (that's cheap). With the right settings and post processing you can produce every cage you desire, just make sure to use enough infill (for strength) and avoid sharp corners (as pla tends to break on seams) in your design.
1 x
evanknox1

Post by evanknox1 »

Computerotter I also have a hobby grade 3d printer and after a bit of fine tuning it turns out some pretty nice prints. I downloaded a few different files and with a bit of tweaking the settings have found I can print a pretty good cage. Size changes and color variations are also possible with little effort.

Post processing is very important as the prints often have rough sections where supports are positioned. The nice thing about printing your own cage is the fact that if something breaks or doesn't fit comfortably you can print a new piece in a relatively short period of time.

Like Weaponx says, you can use a 3d printer to 'protoype' and fine tune measurements before ordering a proper metal cage.

Computerotter

I'm using a cage I downloaded from that same sight and would be curious to know which one you are using.
0 x
computerotter

Post by computerotter »

I am currently happily locked in a KB3D Nano Voronoi V3 Cage with the 45mm V3 ring.
It's really comfortable after sanding and removing the support remains.
I have also dipped it in some clear sealant as described on the Thingiverse page, giving me a really smooth finish.
1 x
art4bux

Post by art4bux »

I was looking at the KB3D designs as well, but many/most of the cages seem to have been dropped from Thingiverse. Any ideas why ?
0 x
evanknox1

Post by evanknox1 »

@art4bux
KB3D has moved to Patreon but left some files on thingiverse. It's only fair that he be reimbursed for his time and efforts designing some well thought out cages and rings, hence the move.
I'm locked in his KiloCage Solid V3 and 45mm V3 ring printed in black pla. It's very comfortable for daily wear.
I want to do a Veronoi Nano V3 with matching ring in pink or flesh color for Loctober.
Hope this helps
0 x