Integrated Lock Fix

For the gearheads in the audience
LockedByBD
Integrated Lock Fix

Post by LockedByBD »

Integrated Lock Fix

So, since my old cage (a cheap Chinese one) had a problem or two, I decided I needed a new one. My lovely wife and keyholder would not let me get a custom cage (too costly) so I tried another cheap Chinese one. This one has an internal lock. The problem with this internal lock for me (and likely for many others) is that it is only easy to insert the lock when you are not in it!

What is the problem with alignment and insertion of those internal locks? I believe it's because they have so many flat surfaces that can catch if alignment is not perfect. What to do about it? Well, I used a small metal file. The locks are brass, which is a soft metal, and by taking off just a tiny bit of metal (only the brass that catches on the hole it is inserted into) it makes inserting the lock considerably easier.

The picture below shows three arrows that reveal the greatest problems. Arrow "A" points to the flat end of the lock. Arrow "B" reveals a small step-up to a larger diameter between the rotating end of the lock and the non-rotating housing. Arrow "C" shows the lock flange that also can catch on insertion.
brass lock.jpg
brass lock.jpg (54.93 KiB) Viewed 1493 times

The bottom picture shows my lock after taking off just a little of the brass. Arrow "A" points to a bullet head shape for the leading end of the lock. Arrow "B" shows how the ledge is now tapered away to prevent catching at this point. And arrow "C" shows the rounded leading edge of the flange.
brass lock 2.jpg
brass lock 2.jpg (94.56 KiB) Viewed 1493 times

This adjustment doesn't make insertion of the lock perfect. There is some tightness to be expected as you are inserting to parts that don't want to stay aligned, but it is significantly easier to get the lock in.

Hope this helps. Caution: only take enough brass off to smooth the sharp edges. Much more and you may damage the lock
1 x
Locked when my wife wants it locked.
LockedByBD
Re: Integrated Lock Fix

Post by LockedByBD »

P.S. If anyone knows the whereabouts of the keys in the bottom picture please let me know. My wife says she's not sure if she still has them! ;)
3 x
Locked when my wife wants it locked.