Jailbird gap issue??

For the gearheads in the audience
sirmebane
Last orgasm: December 19th, 2021
Orgasms this year: 0

Jailbird gap issue??

Post by sirmebane »

We ordered and received my jailbird about this time last year. It has been a joy to wear and fits snuggly for most things but one seems to present an issue.

I have resumed taking martial arts classes where there is a lot of kicking and jump kicking. Stretching can be challenging at times (so things don't get squished) but the kicking is uncovering a flaw... I'm popping out.

My left testicle is smaller than the right and as I do all this physical activity, everything gets hot and loose and 'lefty' escapes about every third class.

Maybe the base ring has stretched things a little over the past year and now the gap between base ring and cage is too wide?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.
0 x
If my comments don't annoy you, follow my exploits here. I started all of this April 2016.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=62123
_lj_

Re: Jailbird gap issue??

Post by _lj_ »

I had a similar problem with one testicle escaping, and very painful it is too!

You can close the gap a little by bending the "post", I did that by gripping the ring in a vice and tapping the post with a hammer (wrap each part with some masking tape to reduce the risk of damaging the metal) It doesn't take much to improve things.

I also experimented with different ring diameters, as the gap depends upon both the spacing between the cage and ring as measured along the post, but also the tangential distance between the opposing faces of ring and cage, as the ring diameter approaches the cage diameter the actual gap alters. (you need to think in 3 dimensions to understand why - I spent some time with a CAD drawing programme to work out the optimum dimensions)

I have to say from my own experience with martial arts (Tae Kwon Do in my case) that I wouldn't wear any form of device during practice - a head-height front or round kick puts too much strain on the crutch area, and a misplaced punch or kick doesn't bear thinking about !
0 x
MM Jailbird
DeltaGeorge

Post by DeltaGeorge »

I have the same issue with my Jailbird and little lefty. However, class time is not a safe time to play so I am released until my shower after class. I would think Taekwondo would be higher risk than the grappling that I do.

As far as the diagonal gap goes, I'll try to get MM to make one the old way with the post on the front rather than the top of the base ring when I get my next cage. Moving the post lowers the cage nearly eliminating the diagonal gap.
0 x
Bird in a Cage

Post by Bird in a Cage »

I’ve had similar issues with a different product. I recommend NOT using a hammer, but a firm rubber or wooden mallet. Place the ring on a piece of wood at least two inches think then firmly tap with the mallet. If you have a micrometer caliper, you can measure the change in gap after each tap to make sure you’re getting the movement you need. If you don’t have a micrometer, this is the perfect excuse to get one!
0 x
Securely within an MCN Adaptus.
WifeIsVanilla

Post by WifeIsVanilla »

Keep in mind that a difference of only 1/16" made all the difference in the world for me!
0 x
Past Devices: Curve & CB 6000s. Both broke, were repaired; then broke beyond repair.
Current Devices: MM Jail Bird, Cobra, MM Watchful Mistress, Holy Trainer v3, a new Curve & the dreaded Spiked Chamber.
sirmebane
Last orgasm: December 19th, 2021
Orgasms this year: 0

Post by sirmebane »

I tell you that I genuinely fear taking a hammer/mallet to a custom device. I broke a cheap Chinese base ring doing something similar and it broke my heart. The Mature Metal products are made of better stuff but I really don't want to damage my primary/comfy/every day cage.

It is not a frequent problem so I'll see where we go from here.

Thanks for the ideas.
0 x
If my comments don't annoy you, follow my exploits here. I started all of this April 2016.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=62123
WifeIsVanilla

Post by WifeIsVanilla »

I agree. I am moderately handy but was reluctant to mess with my favorite toy. I sent mine back to MM. Very fast turn around. I think it only cost $10 for the adjustment.

I suggest that you email M MM. She is a joy to work with.
0 x
Past Devices: Curve & CB 6000s. Both broke, were repaired; then broke beyond repair.
Current Devices: MM Jail Bird, Cobra, MM Watchful Mistress, Holy Trainer v3, a new Curve & the dreaded Spiked Chamber.