“Blunting” screw threads?

For the gearheads in the audience
Schnoff
Last orgasm: August 14th, 2023

“Blunting” screw threads?

Post by Schnoff »

I have a Steelworxx device that secures with a threaded bolt through the PA, and it’s not working great for me. The screw portion of the bolt has rather sharp threads, which irritate my tissue going in and out. On the one hand, that sounds like a design issue. On the other hand, maybe I can do something about it.

So to the people amongst us who understand metalwork - looking at you, @Tom Allen - I have two questions.
  • Can I just take some sandpaper to the threads, and still have the screw work?
  • What other options can you think of design-wise rather than a standard thread, that wouldn’t irritate or “catch” tissue? What’s Dietmar not thinking of?
0 x
Schnoff
My orgasm denial blog
Tango tangor ergo sum.
Tom Allen
Site Admin
Last orgasm: April 1st, 2018
Orgasms this year: 0

Re: “Blunting” screw threads?

Post by Tom Allen »

Any way you can post a pic?
0 x
Schnoff

Post by Schnoff »

Screw1.jpeg
Screw1.jpeg (146.93 KiB) Viewed 1987 times
Screw2.jpeg
Screw2.jpeg (193.69 KiB) Viewed 1987 times
0 x
Schnoff
My orgasm denial blog
Tango tangor ergo sum.
Tom Allen
Site Admin
Last orgasm: April 1st, 2018
Orgasms this year: 0

Post by Tom Allen »

Hmm. I'd say that you could get some very fine sandpaper (600 or finer *emory*) and holding a piece in your fingers, twist the threaded section back and forth. Then, take some fine Scotchbrite pad and do the same thing.

The emory paper will remove some of the points on the threads, while the scotchbrite will deform more, and get into the threads, rounding and smoothing them off. Finally, if you have one of those sponges with a fine scouring pad on the back side, twist the threads into that (while soapy) for a few minutes. Then clean thoroughly so you don't end up with grit in your junk.

It looks like those threads are slightly rounded, just not enough. You shouldn't need to worry about taking much material off.
1 x
Schnoff

Post by Schnoff »

This worked, thank you!

The thing is still way too heavy to wear for more than 2-4 hours, but at least the screw threads are gentler now.
1 x
Schnoff
My orgasm denial blog
Tango tangor ergo sum.