Jailbird Corrosion

For the gearheads in the audience
HisDuty

Jailbird Corrosion

Post by HisDuty »

I have been using a Jailbird device for several months. Recently the base ring developed blisters that peeled off, revealing corrosion. (The uneven metal is a little tough on the skin.)

What do people do to combat corrosion? Is there anything you can do once corrosion sets in?
0 x
Mutt_VB

Re: Jailbird Corrosion

Post by Mutt_VB »

Who made this device? Sounds like it is a chrome plated device and not a MM Jailbird
0 x
Tame Lion

Post by Tame Lion »

You don't have a Jail Bird my Mature Metal. You have a cheap Chinese knock off. The blistering is the chrome plating coming off. Get rid of it.
0 x
Blog: http://www.malechastityjournal.com
#mcjnl @thecagedlion
My guide to fitting a chastity device:http://www.malechastityjournal.com/livi ... -good-fit/
Locked up 24/7 since January 2014.
wishful4

Post by wishful4 »

I would agree with Tame Lion. The "real" MM Jailbird is made from 316L surgical grade stainless steel, I think. It should never tarnish, corrode, rust, or anything else. It may have a tad of 304 grade stainless in the flat metal part that slides on the locking post due to strength, but even that shouldn't corrode or do what you are describing. If you did purchase it directly from mature metal, please email William and let him know what it is doing. I feel sure he would want to know about it.
0 x
Wishful4
Current Device: DhGate A271
Michele

Post by Michele »

Tame Lion wrote:You don't have a Jail Bird my Mature Metal. You have a cheap Chinese knock off. The blistering is the chrome plating coming off. Get rid of it.
Agreed!
0 x
Wife, Girlfriend & KeyHolder
My boys are Wearing: Jail Bird (cm) Steelheart (a)
Owned Devices: MM Jail Bird (x2), MM Spyder, MM Locking Double Cockring, Steelworxx Revenge
Click here for Our blog & Podcast
_lj_

Post by _lj_ »

Get a magnet and test the metal - I've just tried it on my (real) JailBird, and as expected, the only magnetic part is the hasp on the padlock - surgical stainless steel isn't magnetic.

My guess, like others, is it's a knock-off.
0 x
MM Jailbird
HisDuty

Post by HisDuty »

Thanks. I guess you get what you pay for (free in this case). :-)
0 x
Michele

Post by Michele »

If you saw the handmade beautiful work William does with a steel chastity device, you would know in a minute it wasn't one. Perhaps yours was a Bird Cage? We started out with that and ours was chrome played but we knew that going it it wouldn't be a long term solution.

Anyway, good luck!
0 x
Wife, Girlfriend & KeyHolder
My boys are Wearing: Jail Bird (cm) Steelheart (a)
Owned Devices: MM Jail Bird (x2), MM Spyder, MM Locking Double Cockring, Steelworxx Revenge
Click here for Our blog & Podcast
WifeIsVanilla

Post by WifeIsVanilla »

I agree with Lady M. The real Mature Metal products crafted by William are things of grace and beauty, and they feel soooo good.
0 x
Past Devices: Curve & CB 6000s. Both broke, were repaired; then broke beyond repair.
Current Devices: MM Jail Bird, Cobra, MM Watchful Mistress, Holy Trainer v3, a new Curve & the dreaded Spiked Chamber.
Tom Allen
Site Admin
Last orgasm: April 1st, 2018
Orgasms this year: 0

Post by Tom Allen »

https://vanillaedge.wordpress.com/2010/ ... r-quality/

There was a CB3000 "knockoff" called "The Fort" which was a freaking heavy device made of cast stainless steel. Unfortunately, the rings were made from cheap "white metal" alloy that were chrome plated. White metal won't be attracted to a magnet, so you may not realize that it's not stainless until the chrome or nickel electroplate gets scratched and starts flaking off.

Mature Metal uses 316 stainless steel rings. The Chinese knock-offs probably use 302/304 (which is okay for the low stress situations they would be placed in), but I've seen a surprising number of items from overseas that were simply plated steel or other metal.
0 x