Bending SS on welds ?

For the gearheads in the audience
slave d

Bending SS on welds ?

Post by slave d »

W/we have a chinese S/S CD http://www.ebay.com/itm/Male-Stainless- ... 35d6174611

As you will see the three main rings (they're 5mm S/S) are joined underneath with a weld and spread apart with about 12mm gaps at the top so creating the bend in the cage. i'd like to reduce the overall length by "squeezing" the rings much closer together at the top. Can anybody here with experience working with S/S tell me if that's likely to cause problems ? am I tempting fate that the welds could break ? or is the weld actually stronger than the S/S itself as it is with some materials when joined ??

Appreciate any advice anybody can give.

d
0 x
New Zealand
After a year post covid of “freedom” I am trialing a good old HT V3 nub modified by me to have a glans ring so no pullout. Working well so far.
chasteboi

Re: Bending SS on welds ?

Post by chasteboi »

It might break at the welds when you try and bend it, especially since these Chinese Knock-offs from eBay and DH Gate are not of the highest quality. Also the grade of Stainless Steel will determine if it will bend and how much.

With all that said, for $22 you don't have a greet deal to lose by trying...
0 x
Atone

Post by Atone »

chasteboi wrote: With all that said, for $22 you don't have a greet deal to lose by trying...
Yeah, on a $22 device I would give it a try. I have had good luck making small changes. Just be gentle. Don't use a 5lb hammer :)
0 x
grubber

Post by grubber »

slave d:

You most certainly can bend the cage/welds. I have done it with a few of these style devices. The welds are much stronger than you think. It's best to use pliers or even better, if you have access to a vise. Not too crazy about that ring on yours. A round solid ring is way more comfortable.

I have provided a link to the original device along with a pic of it modified

Right click on the picture and open it in a new tab or page for a better view.

Here's a link to the original device:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-ste ... 1144785394
Attachments
cage pic 1.jpg
cage pic 1.jpg (117.29 KiB) Viewed 3387 times
0 x
slave d

Post by slave d »

Thanks for that folks, much appreciated, if i give it the "squeeze" i'll let you know how i get on. grubber i agree the next one will definitely have a solid ring like that, so far haven't found a short enough one that W/we like.

d
0 x
New Zealand
After a year post covid of “freedom” I am trialing a good old HT V3 nub modified by me to have a glans ring so no pullout. Working well so far.
art4bux

Post by art4bux »

with that cage, you are gonna have to think about where the catheter is going to go when you squeeze the rings together. You might not be able to use the catheter at all. If you really want just a shorter cage and are not worried about the catheter (I don't care for them myself), go for it

good luck
0 x
fineline

Post by fineline »

Just look at the welds closely. If they're smooth and blend into the surrounding metal, you should be OK. If poorly done, and lumpy, and didn't melt into the surrounding metal you may have a cold weld that could break. Most are pretty good, one that I bought had a small, bad weld on the ring that fits onto the locking pin. I bent it a bit and the blasted thing fell off. I had it for about 10 minutes and never got to even try the device.
0 x
slave d

Post by slave d »

Thanks guys, i'm not worried about the catheter as it's next best to useless anyway. MsM has given me permission to shop for a new device so if anybody has any "cheap" short s/s cages with a solid base ring please feel free to chime in. i've found some with what i call the shower rose end but i'd prefer an open cage if possible.

d
0 x
New Zealand
slave d

Post by slave d »

Finally had the chance to try crimping up the gaps between the rings and it was easy as pie. Just used a pair of long handled pliers i have that have an adjustable centre joint and just crimped them up to lose at least half an inch of overall length.

d
0 x
New Zealand
suziduzi

Post by suziduzi »

grubber wrote:slave d:

You most certainly can bend the cage/welds. I have done it with a few of these style devices. The welds are much stronger than you think. It's best to use pliers or even better, if you have access to a vise. Not too crazy about that ring on yours. A round solid ring is way more comfortable.

I have provided a link to the original device along with a pic of it modified

Right click on the picture and open it in a new tab or page for a better view.

Here's a link to the original device:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stainless-ste ... 1144785394
Thanks for posting this, grubber.
Can you say by how much you were able to shorten your cage?
Also, as you squeeze the rings to close the top, unwelded gaps between them, doesn't the cage become more, er... "erect" and therefore more obtrusive?
Since all looks normal in your photo, did you make any adjustments in this respect?
0 x