MM security screw vs padlock

For the gearheads in the audience
fineline

Re: MM security screw vs padlock

Post by fineline »

I'm glad that I'm wrong about the head on the screw. I was going by what I saw in the pictures of a Jail Bird, and it looked like a standard Torx tamper resistant screw head.
0 x
Locked by LRC

Post by Locked by LRC »

This is a quick CAD of my MM key. It's not exact but close, I think you'll see it is unique.
MM Key .JPG
MM Key .JPG (19.43 KiB) Viewed 2464 times
0 x
Current device - MM Custom
Previous devices - CB2000, 3000, 6000, 6000s, Curve
tanda

Post by tanda »

I've had both, and wish the screw was a true option. Unfortunately, even though the screw/key design is not a standard torx version, if you get one of those 6 dollar "security screw bit sets" at home depot, at least two of the bits in that kit will fit in there enough to get a good bite on the screw and loosen it up. In fact, I found one bit that was actually tighter and easier to use than the key that MM sends because the home depot bit was 6 sided, so you could actually grip it and twist it easily. So I'm currently in the padlock, and I dislike how it twists the cage more, or sometimes gets caught in my underwear. I'm thinking of going with the screw and filling in the hole with jbweld. Although you can still use pliers to grip the screw.
0 x
Dannyboy

Post by Dannyboy »

fineline wrote:I'm glad that I'm wrong about the head on the screw. I was going by what I saw in the pictures of a Jail Bird, and it looked like a standard Torx tamper resistant screw head.
I think that was an option at one point but no longer
0 x
Currently locked in: Jail Bird
locked4her55

Post by locked4her55 »

tanda wrote:I found one bit that was actually tighter and easier to use than the key that MM sends because the home depot bit was 6 sided, so you could actually grip it and twist it easily.
There you go, add one more reason for me to remain with the padlock.

Never been good at picking a lock but I will find myself wandering the aisles of Home Depot about once a week. :lol:
0 x
Happily secured since 4/2010 :-)
Have worn CB3000, CB6000s, MM Jail Bird & Watchful Mistress,
DHgate A271 & 273, DHgate Full Stainless Steel Belt & DHgate HT nub
Currently wearing A273
DashRiprock

Post by DashRiprock »

When I used the Jailbird, I had the high security screw. It was a pain to install. To make it easier I got a small screwdriver with the exchangeable bits. The Jailbird "key" fit into the screwdriver, but I also used a bread bag tie so the key would fit tight in the screwdriver and not spin. The screwdriver also had a ratcheting feature which made it easier to install the screw. I also used a wooden pencil with the lead point removed and screwed the pencil point into one side which lined up the threads so the screw could be installed much easier.
0 x
MikeyLikes

Post by MikeyLikes »

I like the screw since it doesn't add additional bulk or protrusion and prevents the cage from rotating around the base ring. But, I do like the symbolism of the padlock, as well as the ease of closing and opening it; and the key looks better than the wrench 'key' for the screw.

I think I'd probably use the padlock all the time, if the cage didn't rotate on the base, but the rotation sometimes causes discomfort, and on my 1 3/4" base ring, my testicles can pop through if the cage rotates enough.
0 x
HeldForHer

Post by HeldForHer »

I've used both.

I prefer the screw because there is no movement between the cage and ring for a more solid feel.

Also less bulk.

A quick search on youtube showed me how easy it is to pick those locks (and it was) so neither option is more secure than the other.

I've got a few base rings and depending on the ring, some screws do back out no matter how hard it is tightened. The screw with my current ring doesn't back out.
0 x
gummicouple

Post by gummicouple »

From the female perspective: We have the Jailbird with the security screw and I don't like using it because it is too difficult to line up. The lock is much easier for me.

~Alex
0 x
Rubber, bdsm, orgasm control
chastehub

Post by chastehub »

I have a JB with a standard padlock and have no plans to change to a security screw, but if I had one I'd consider using the blue (non-permanent) loctite to prevent the screw from coming loose. Has anyone tried that? Would removing the security screw after using loctite require too much torque upon removal and potentially strip the key and/or head of the security screw?
0 x
Sincerely,

chastehub
-------------------------------
If you have 'em by the balls, their hearts and minds will follow
Locked off and on...mostly on...in MM JB since 10Jan14,