MM security screw vs padlock

For the gearheads in the audience
belocked

MM security screw vs padlock

Post by belocked »

I have a JailBird and can't decide between the security screw and the padlock. The screw is way more convenient with a smaller bulge under clothes and no tendency for the cage to rotate, but somehow the emotional thing is different with the padlock. Maybe I just think that it would be easier to undo the screw, not that I have or would try. Those of you who have tried both, which do you prefer?
0 x
locked4her55
Re: MM security screw vs padlock

Post by locked4her55 »

I went with the screw on both of my MM CD's. I did like the look and the "Mind Fuck" I got with knowing I just couldn't take the bolt cutters and lop off the padlock. That was then. . . Now, and for several years we've been using the $8.00 padlock.

Here's why:
1) We found the security screw tedious to put in and crank down. The key that you use is cumbersome to say the least and the Wife was getting frustrated.

2) Found after a week or so of wearing it the screw would become loose. Enough that I could unscrew it with my fingers. No matter how hard we cranked it down, with the play between the cage and the base ring it would work itself loose. Wife got tired of me asking her to check my screw.

3) When you lock yourself up you need to have the screw key. With a padlock there is no key needed. Just click and you're locked. There have been times when my wife is in a hurry (late for work usually) that she will say "you need to lock up when you get out of bed". She leaves me the lock, takes the key and that's my cue after I shower to lock up. If we were using the screw she would have had to either be there to do it or leave me one of the screw keys, and I'm never allowed to touch any of the keys.

4) When she does actually lock me (which is 80% of the time) she really gets a kick out of grabbing the padlock, looking into my eyes and usually saying something like "how long will it be this time?" Then the ultimate CLICK is heard (she loves that sound).

5) Lastly, and I believe it was Atone that stated this: "the padlock give you something to grab onto while you pee" :lol: . . and it's true!

Ok, I've made my case for the padlock but what I would advise anyone is get the security screw and experience it yourself. If it doesn't work out for you then you can always put a padlock through the same hole and it's the cost of eight dollars. ;)
Last edited by locked4her55 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Happily secured since 4/2010 :-)
Have worn CB3000, CB6000s, MM Jail Bird & Watchful Mistress,
DHgate A271 & 273, DHgate Full Stainless Steel Belt & DHgate HT nub
Currently wearing A273
fineline

Post by fineline »

Unless they've changed it, the pictures that I've seen of the screw makes me think that the security screw is a Torx bit with the pin in the middle. You can buy them from Home Depot, and Harbor Freight to name a couple of retailers. You might even find them at a hardware store. I searched for security screws, and there are companies that sell them, with unique patterns. They're industrial suppliers though, and I doubt that they'd want to go for that. While the idea of being fastened in with a solid, tight screw is a bit intimidating, the padlock is more secure.

Do a search for the images of the MM devices (they don't show the screw head on the MM site), and then do a search for tamper proof security screws. You'll see what I mean. Standard Torx tamper resistant screws are a couple of bucks at most, a standard tap is pretty cheap too,so you could add it yourself later if you want to for about 1/4 the price. Or less.
0 x
Her_M

Post by Her_M »

I have yet to post my "Hello" first post yet. But, I just joined as a MM JB owner and the security screw is not an off the shelf screw such as a torx head. It does have a pin in the middle but it's perimeter is more like a rounded and lumpy trapezoid where the key will only fit one way. Like anything else, I believe it can be defeated but not quickly.

I tend to agree with what others have said about the emotional difference between the security screw and the padlock. Padlocks are simple to engage allowing the wearer and KH to focus on each other in the moment. While the security screw requires most of the attention when being installed.
0 x
Michele

Post by Michele »

Her_M wrote:I have yet to post my "Hello" first post yet. But, I just joined as a MM JB owner and the security screw is not an off the shelf screw such as a torx head. It does have a pin in the middle but it's perimeter is more like a rounded and lumpy trapezoid where the key will only fit one way. Like anything else, I believe it can be defeated but not quickly.

I tend to agree with what others have said about the emotional difference between the security screw and the padlock. Padlocks are simple to engage allowing the wearer and KH to focus on each other in the moment. While the security screw requires most of the attention when being installed.
Approved now go say hello :)
0 x
Wife, Girlfriend & KeyHolder
My boys are Wearing: Jail Bird (cm) Steelheart (a)
Owned Devices: MM Jail Bird (x2), MM Spyder, MM Locking Double Cockring, Steelworxx Revenge
Click here for Our blog & Podcast
Tame Lion

Post by Tame Lion »

We have the security screw on the Jail Bird. It makes the cage much more solid. Mrs. Lion has no trouble putting on and taking it off. In the beginning it did loosen after a few days, but now she tightens it up more and it hasn't worked loose. Of course, she rakes me out every few days for stretching, but even after a week it has remained tight.

The screw is definitely not a torx bit with a shaft in the middle. It is keyed. Probably tools are available that will open it, but that is more difficult than a small bolt cutter to chop off a padlock. It isn't Fort Knox down there, after all. I am very happy with the screw since it is less bulky, quiet, and I like the solid feel.
0 x
Blog: http://www.malechastityjournal.com
#mcjnl @thecagedlion
My guide to fitting a chastity device:http://www.malechastityjournal.com/livi ... -good-fit/
Locked up 24/7 since January 2014.
Dannyboy

Post by Dannyboy »

We like the security screw. Mainly for the fact it does not stab my gf when we are cuddling in bed. It is a bit of a faff to get on but undoing it is nice and quick.

While I like the padlock my kh was worried I'd pick the lock or something similar. Not that I would do something like that so she prefers the screw.

I also found originally when I got the jailbird it loosened after a coupe of days but that was down to me worrying I was over tightening it and would strip the thread's out or damage the head.

I now do it as tight as I can with no issues or loosening.
0 x
Currently locked in: Jail Bird
Subinmemphis

Post by Subinmemphis »

I have a qk that only uses a padlock, and recently got a jb with a screw. No pun intended. Both have pros and cons. With a tiny drop of blue loctite, it won't back out. Do not use red loctite unless you're doing a permanent install. The lock does give something to hold onto, but pokes my thigh at times. With a screw my clothes fit better. She likes the click of the lock A LOT but also likes that the screw cannot be cut off with cutters.
0 x
Katwalk is my key holder
Michele

Post by Michele »

I love the screw but fyi it is possible to fuck with the screw enough to unscrew it with fingers and then redo it again... I do wish it was a bit more secure but there really is no way to do that... though I do wonder sometimes if it wouldn't back out of the underside of the screw head were squared like I've seen before but that might be too big of a pita.
0 x
Wife, Girlfriend & KeyHolder
My boys are Wearing: Jail Bird (cm) Steelheart (a)
Owned Devices: MM Jail Bird (x2), MM Spyder, MM Locking Double Cockring, Steelworxx Revenge
Click here for Our blog & Podcast
Mutt_VB

Post by Mutt_VB »

My wife has so much trouble with the screw. Maybe I put it in to tight but when she tries to get me out she can not get the screw to come out.
0 x