That unexpected metal detector moment

Living the real life under lock and key
sirmebane
Last orgasm: December 19th, 2021
Orgasms this year: 0

That unexpected metal detector moment

Post by sirmebane »

We were invited to a tennis event about two hours away from home by the boss and his wife. We met them just outside the gate since he had the tickets and as we enter the gate, there they are. The "arches of anxiety" along with the smiling security personnel holding their wands if you go beep.

I'm elbow to elbow with the boss, his wife and about three dozen people about to enter the venue. My options for being embarrassed were many but I tried to keep a hint of optimism remembering that my Jail Bird was made of medical grade (mostly non-ferrous) steel. Don't look worried, be casual and maybe you can blame it on your belt buckle.

I walked through the arch like I owned the place to rapidly gather my keys and phone while my wife nearly gasped in relief. She nearly turned white when she realized what was likely going to happen. It didn't.

Another day older and another day wiser. This wasn't a big event and there weren't a lot of people attending but I guess liability rules and insurance being what it is - surprise! At least it is possible to walk through if the sensitivity isn't at the highest levels but I'd prefer not to repeat that one.
1 x
If my comments don't annoy you, follow my exploits here. I started all of this April 2016.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=62123
belocked

Re: That unexpected metal detector moment

Post by belocked »

Recently I was with others to visit an art gallery. Oops, a metal detector arch for everyone, a minor panic immediately. But I could walk through with my backpack containing an umbrella and other stuff and no need to empty pockets. Apparently it flashed red but the 2 bored security people showed zero interest. I have no idea why they had the metal detector arch.
0 x
Hussman767

Post by Hussman767 »

That is always a concern of mine. My prior cage was plastic with only the small locking mechanism bring metal. But now, I’m sure my stainless steel cage and “padlock” would cause “red”.
0 x
I serve at her pleasure
Sashauk

Post by Sashauk »

It's never a problem for me - I have had a replacement hip! :D

Any metal detector will bleep when I walk through but as your hip is not far from your groin a wipe down with a wand will never be able to pinpoint the exact location. I just say to the operator 'I have a replacement hip' and they normally just pass the wand down the outside of my leg and all is well.

Also I'm not sure that being medical grade steel is going to save you. My hip is medical grade titanium and that sets of detectors at airports but rarely at events, museums etc. - it's more down to how sensitive the detector is set to. At those locations I think they are looking more at what you might be carrying in your bag/backpack than what you have on your body.
0 x
sirmebane
Last orgasm: December 19th, 2021

Post by sirmebane »

I had a work colleague who did something stupid on a ski slope and had to have his knee rebuild with lots of steel pins. He was the darling of the TSA people every time we traveled even with a doctor's note and a laminated X-Ray of his leg; he required additional scrutiny nearly every time. My only point about medical grade stainless steel is that it is not "highly ferrous" and the metal detector would have to be on a more sensitive setting to beep, thankfully it was not.

I consider myself lucky. If I had any reasonable suspicion that there might be a security gate at such a small event, I would have requested to be unlocked. My wife and I both had the thought but neither verbalized it nor acted upon it since it seemed so unlikely.

Live and learn.
0 x
If my comments don't annoy you, follow my exploits here. I started all of this April 2016.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=62123
Tom Allen
Site Admin
Last orgasm: April 1st, 2018

Post by Tom Allen »

Stainless steel is not non- or low-ferrous. Stainless steel, like other steels, is primarily Fe, or iron. 300 series stainless steels are alloyed in such a way that makes them less reactive to magnets, and would not set off very old style metal detectors. But they will set off modern detectors because the metal will disturb the flow in a generated field.

And don't make the mistake of thinking that ithey won't affect an MRI. All metal will affect MRI; they just calibrate the machines to allow for it if they know ahead of time.
2 x
LockedByBD

Post by LockedByBD »

sirmebane wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:55 pm ... be casual and maybe you can blame it on your belt buckle.
While visiting Washington, DC a couple of years ago my wife decided we should take in a museum. Dog gone if I didn't set off the metal detector, but I was wearing a big western style belt buckle. The guard just smiled, wanded my buckle, and waved me through!
0 x
Locked when my wife wants it locked.
focUSed

Post by focUSed »

I also was a bit surprised by a metal detector at a college graduation a few years back. Passed through without incident; didn't even have a TX style belt buckle to help in my defense! I haven't tried an airport yet, no guarantee you won't be put through the body scanner instead of the metal detector there! I suppose if/when I/we decide we're going to do this, we'll be comfortable enough with the explanation and any potential consequences that it will be a non-issue.
0 x
Devices tried: BirdLocked (V1), CB-6000s, two DHGate devices (273 and currently wearing circular barstock ring version of the same thing)
Naljeans

Post by Naljeans »

Early in chastity, I was surprised by metal detectors at a sporting event. I saw them too late to even get very panicked. I went through without issue.

More recently, I had to go to the airport, and my owner was out of town with the key. I made it through security twice without issue. That stunned me, given the steel Contender cage. By that point, I was comfortable enough with myself to be ready with an explanation, but didn’t need it.
0 x
MCN Contender
cshorts

Post by cshorts »

I've worn my MCN Contender through airport security ... oh, more than 30 times. I've only set off the detector twice, and both times after I removed shoes and belt, it didn't buzz the second time. I credit the light weight (thin bars) of the device, and airport machines being set to low sensitivity.

In early July I was testifying in federal court. Went in three different days, set off the detector each time. First time I was sanded, said I had "intimate jewelry" and they let me go. Next day, a different guard just seemed confused by that and took me to the men's room for inspection -- I unzipped, showed him, he made a face and let me go. He was there the next day, remembered me when the buzzer went off, and waved me thru.
1 x
Wearing: MCN Contender
In chastity since: 3 October 2018