Locks Rusting

Living the real life under lock and key
cottus

Locks Rusting

Post by cottus »

I'm using a Holy Trainer v2 right now and I've noticed the lock getting rust/rust-like blemishes after a few shower visits. Of course, as soon as I noticed the rust (I was worried about this happening and found it right away) I stopped using the device. I have all my vaccinations up to date, but still. Any advice on how to deal with this?
0 x
slave d

Re: Locks Rusting

Post by slave d »

I never saw any rust on mine and if i had i would hsve been worried about the lock not me lol, don't know of any personal rust disease !! As far as i'm aware the lock on an HT2 (assuming you have a REAL one) is solid brass so it can't rust !!!!!

d
0 x
New Zealand
After a year post covid of “freedom” I am trialing a good old HT V3 nub modified by me to have a glans ring so no pullout. Working well so far.
mellyshubby

Post by mellyshubby »

Blemishes might be due to chemical reaction with soap products in the shower. Maybe a bit more rinsing with clean water might help. Also, next time it is off give it a coating of gun oil.
0 x
Husband of MellyKH
Securely locked 24/7 in either a Jail Bird or Watchful Mistress
cottus

Post by cottus »

mellyshubby wrote:Blemishes might be due to chemical reaction with soap products in the shower. Maybe a bit more rinsing with clean water might help. Also, next time it is off give it a coating of gun oil.
Ah, that must be it. I don't have any lubricants like that but I'll try a wash with clean water. Thanks!
0 x
cottus

Post by cottus »

Just a little update: mellyshubby was right. I did notice some rusting on the key (I'm a bit of a germaphobe) but some white vinegar soaking should dissolve it, and I ordered my HTv2 directly from the Holy Trainer site so it is indeed made of brass.
0 x
all41

Post by all41 »

Use any kind of lubricating oil then with the key open and close it 10 times or so. I just would not use oils from the kichen they are heavy and I think build up would occure
0 x
wolf513

Post by wolf513 »

I have seen rust on the key, but not the lock. It's possible that the springs in the tumblers are steel, which would rust, but I doubt it.

I have stopped leaving the key in the lock when I take the device off and store it. I haven't noticed any further rusting.
0 x
cottus

Post by cottus »

all41 wrote:Use any kind of lubricating oil then with the key open and close it 10 times or so. I just would not use oils from the kichen they are heavy and I think build up would occure
I'm just leaving them in a white vinegar solution for a day and cleaning it off. White vinegar is good for getting off rust and polishing brass.
wolf513 wrote:I have seen rust on the key, but not the lock. It's possible that the springs in the tumblers are steel, which would rust, but I doubt it.

I have stopped leaving the key in the lock when I take the device off and store it. I haven't noticed any further rusting.
Yeah, I'm gonna start taking the lock out before I clean in the future.
0 x