Mobile client?

Board announcements, questions from members, etc.
sirmebane
Last orgasm: December 19th, 2021
Orgasms this year: 0

Mobile client?

Post by sirmebane »

I know you can access this website via mobile web browser but is there a mobile client for phpBB that makes it easier when you're on the go?
0 x
If my comments don't annoy you, follow my exploits here. I started all of this April 2016.
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=62123
Tom Allen
Site Admin
Last orgasm: April 1st, 2018

Re: Mobile client?

Post by Tom Allen »

Funny, but I rarely use mobile apps; generally the browser gives more functionality. Also, it's easier to clear your browser history in case anyone borrows your phone.

Edit: I spotted several Android apps in the Play store.
0 x
Schnoff
Last orgasm: August 14th, 2023

Post by Schnoff »

There probably is, for iOS for example there’s Topic’it. Ultimately those still interact with the forum via just web browsing, so I’m not sure what the app gains you. Notifications I suppose if that’s what you’re after.

The new mobile interface for this forum actually looks really nice. Good job by the phpBB devs.
0 x
Schnoff
My orgasm denial blog
Tango tangor ergo sum.
Tom Allen
Site Admin

Post by Tom Allen »

Topic'it and Forum View for Android, but reports say they're a bit buggy.

Again, most of the time you're better off using the mobile version.
0 x
slave d

Post by slave d »

The version that comes up on my iPhone is fine, no need to confuse the issue by putting an app into the link

MsM’s ld
0 x
New Zealand
After a year post covid of “freedom” I am trialing a good old HT V3 nub modified by me to have a glans ring so no pullout. Working well so far.
Schnoff

Post by Schnoff »

I should also point out: in both Android and iOS you can put a link to the forum onto your phone’s home screen. That should be available to you from the share menu your mobile browser gives you.
0 x
Schnoff
My orgasm denial blog
Tango tangor ergo sum.
jfenoffti

Post by jfenoffti »

@Schnoff Since you are the go-to, IT guy of the year, please confirm or deny the following rumor or myth. Smart phone apps very often share information i.e. databases, links, usage, etc. between each other.

That's the reason some employers (others and mine it the past) told users to not mix business apps and personal apps on the same phone. One for business, one for personal. The "horror story" used to illustrate the policy was very personal, embarrassing information from the personal app migrated to the business app and everyone saw it.

Was this the case? Is this still the case?
1 x
Schnoff

Post by Schnoff »

@jfenoffti :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: That's a broad question. In a nutshell, don't assume that sites have your best interest at heart. For this site in particular, I made it a point to make sure the only cookies being set are necessary for running the site (if you see a lock icon in your browser, you can click on it to see what we're tracking); and your personal data is visible to you, in your user profile under Privacy.

I mix personal and business interest on one cell phone. I feel safe doing that because I'm pretty anal about privacy, not Snowden-level anal but interested enough to pay attention to what each app tracks about me. I use an iDevice rather than Google Android because I trust iDevices more with my privacy.

If that's all wayyyy to much work - I really do feel you - do what your employer tells you to do and keep them apart.
0 x
Schnoff
My orgasm denial blog
Tango tangor ergo sum.
jfenoffti

Post by jfenoffti »

@Schnoff Thanks for the info and ensuring CF cookies are only used as absolutely needed. I have always felt that this was probably a pretty "safe" site. It did not and does not have the appearance of having an ulterior motive (i.e. gathering data for ID theft, spamming, etc.)
1 x
Tom Allen
Site Admin

Post by Tom Allen »

I mainly use a web browser instead of a dedicated app, and I have 3 different browsers on my phone. There's the generic web browser that ships with my Android, and there's Chrome, which I use most of the time, and then I have either Opera or Puffin, which I use for my more, umm, questionable browsing. This way, it keeps cookies, etc. separate, and keeps me from accidentally sending email from the wrong account.
3 x