So what's the consensus?

For the gearheads in the audience
LockedTexan

So what's the consensus?

Post by LockedTexan »

Out of all the Chinese/knockoff/Amazon/EBay/DHGate type steel devices out there, what seems to be the best one going lately? I've been wearing mine pretty regularly for the last several months and while the fit isn't 100%, it's pretty close, and the price is definitely right. I'll likely pick up one more "cheap" steel device to wear and modify here and there before finally placing my order for a Contender.

What say you?
0 x
Tom Allen
Site Admin
Last orgasm: April 1st, 2018
Orgasms this year: 0

Re: So what's the consensus?

Post by Tom Allen »

I doubt that there is any consensus on what the "best" device is, but I can tell you that I've been surprisingly happy with my recent purchase of an A272.

The fit and finish is surprisingly good, especially since the cuff ring appears to be cast, and the tube is well made with no sharp edges or wonky welds. The integrated lock seems a bit on the cheap side, but then, the whole device was less than $20, so...
0 x
LockedTexan

Post by LockedTexan »

I've seen that particular design floating around but I'd personally have some problems with it.

1. Too long, and I don't see a good way to shorten it without cutting it. The one I have is one of the "stacked ring" designs and I shortened it pretty close to ideal just by compressing it length-always in a vise.

2. Weight. And you could possibly attest to the weight of it being ok. I'm very physically active at work and a lighter device works better for me.

I do like the fit/finish of that one though. The base ring looks pretty nice too. Ive always preferred ergonomic designs.

I guess "best" was the wrong word choice. Just mainly asking if out of all the experimenting with the cheap devices, if the group has collectively found one or a couple they preferred over others that have been attempted.
0 x
Bird in a Cage

Post by Bird in a Cage »

LockedTexan wrote: I guess "best" was the wrong word choice. Just mainly asking if out of all the experimenting with the cheap devices, if the group has collectively found one or a couple they preferred over others that have been attempted.
With any off-the-shelf solution, you'll need to experiment on your own. What works for me (or for Tom) may or may not work for you.

I recently ordered four steel items for a total of $70 (delivery expected March 17). I also ordered a spool of silver solder in case I run across some nasty joints/welds that polishing alone won't fix. At this price point, I see these items as disposable—if I don't like it, it hits the bottom of the trash can.

As for length issues, nearly every design on DHgate comes in different cage lengths, you just need to be patient when looking because sometimes you have to switch vendors to find the cage length differences.
0 x
Securely within an MCN Adaptus.
attentive_husband

Post by attentive_husband »

Tom Allen wrote:I doubt that there is any consensus on what the "best" device is, but I can tell you that I've been surprisingly happy with my recent purchase of an A272.

The fit and finish is surprisingly good, especially since the cuff ring appears to be cast, and the tube is well made with no sharp edges or wonky welds. The integrated lock seems a bit on the cheap side, but then, the whole device was less than $20, so...
Isn't that a crap shoot though that the ring is the right size for you? I can see being a little off for the cage part but the ring size is key.
0 x
Tom Allen
Site Admin
Last orgasm: April 1st, 2018
Orgasms this year: 0

Post by Tom Allen »

If you have spend any time playing with the various CBxxxx rings, then you'll have a feel for what size to order on the steel devices. I would prefer something slightly larger than 45mm, but the next up size is just under 2", which I knew would be too large.
0 x