Mature metal a rings

For the gearheads in the audience
bucka99

Mature metal a rings

Post by bucka99 »

Maybe a dumb question - if a ring is 2" round is it the same ring oval but squished? So it might be 2.2 wide and 1.8 tall but is referred to as a 2" ring? How do you identify the size of an unknown oval ring - take the height and width and then average the two? Ie 1-3/4 tall and 2-1/4 wide is a 2 inch ring?
0 x
Locked by LRC

Re: Mature metal a rings

Post by Locked by LRC »

When ordering new its a 2" ring round or oval.

If you have an existing ring, measure the circumference inside the ring. Then calculate: Measurement/3.14

Or, go to; http://www.onlineconversion.com/circlesolve.htm and plug in the circumference.
0 x
Current device - MM Custom
Previous devices - CB2000, 3000, 6000, 6000s, Curve
wishful4

Post by wishful4 »

Most of the oval rings I've had are barely noticeable. The measurement difference was usually 1/16 to 1/8 in. Suggest you email MM and ask them the specifics. They will be happy to answer.
0 x
Wishful4
Current Device: DhGate A271
cagedog

Post by cagedog »

They do just start with a 2" round (or whatever the nominal size) and press it into an oval. Having a good vice, I've done it myself per William's instructions (takes a bit of "cold" working as the metal will spring back). So yes, once pressed into an oval, the horizontal axis will be a little over 2" and the vertical a little under. How much depends on how far you press. You can also press the oval ring back to round, but I wouldn't recommend doing things more than once. As most without a vice have found, its just as easy to send it to William to adjust.
0 x
Locked since 4-19-11. Currently in an MM PT for over two years.