Modifying an A080

For the gearheads in the audience
Bird in a Cage

Re: Modifying an A080

Post by Bird in a Cage »

Tom

You've got me thinking about buying a cheap cage and doing some home modifications. Of course, any excuse to use the Dremel and power sander is a plus. I'm looking at the following:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GF ... AH8XRC03H3

My mod would be to remove the insert including the threaded adapter on the cage itself. For me at least, that hole is egress only. The other dimensions are a pinch small from my standard measurements, but I've never had a "too small" device so far—funny how the body adapts. I want to try something with a little less room to see if it helps with the 4:00am morning wood wake ups.

Before I pull the trigger, I wanted to ask you if your found the whole modification path a worthwhile endeavor?

-Bird.
0 x
Securely within an MCN Adaptus.
Tom Allen
Site Admin
Last orgasm: April 1st, 2018
Orgasms this year: 0

Post by Tom Allen »

As the weather got warmer, I found the wider cuff ring to be a sticking point (heh). In jeans, at work, I found that my skin was not slipping smoothly off the edges, and I would sometimes feel a pinch of skin. Also, the cuff ring edges could certainly stand to be rounded over more on the inside. I could put a dab of lube on around it, but by mid-day, it needs more. It's not a deal breaker, but I think that I can do better.

My next thing, when I get a little time, will be to make a cuff ring from 1/4" stainless, and to braze a tang on top to fit the section from the cage. It would be less obtrusive than a pin, as in the MM cages or the one you posted earlier, which means that it would be easier to leave it on when Mrs Edge wants the cage off. I probably won't get a chance to do this for a few more weeks, though.
0 x
Bird in a Cage

Post by Bird in a Cage »

Keep us informed. I'm very curious to see your next iteration.
0 x
Tom Allen
Site Admin

Post by Tom Allen »

I made a cuff ring from 1/4" stainless, and brazed a lug on top for the cage tab, but I left a little too much play in the setup, and my testicles were able to slip out in my sleep. That was probably from not having a totally flat surface on which the tab was seated.

Also, once the hot weather hit, I had a lot of problems with the entire device sagging.

So, back to the original ring, which I had brazed into a closed unit. I softened the edges of the ring and buffed them out a little more. Most of the pinching issues have disappeared. I have noticed that I'm more prone to pinching at the end of the day, when my skin has gotten a bit loose. I suspect that a little fold of skin is rubbing against the metal. I'm usually able to adjust it without sticking my hand down my pants :roll:

As it happens, though, the flatter ring holds up much better during the hot weather; the wider surface area keeps the entire cage from sagging. Since I buffed everything out, it's been over a week straight with no issues. Mrs Edge, who I thought wouldn't be crazy about the open cage, has taken a distinct liking to it, and has kept after me to finish making the adjustments for the last few weeks now. We had taken a little break from the devices, but now it looks like she's been thinking about them again.
0 x
Tom Allen
Site Admin

Post by Tom Allen »

It's been a couple of months, so I thought I'd update this a little further.

While I still like the device, I've discovered that in the warm weather, my testicle skin gets more elastic (i.e., saggy), and there's more of a tendency for it to fold up and get trapped between the device the the ring. I'll start off great in the morning, but by the end of the day at work I get frequent pinching that is distracting, and difficult to adjust. That is, I'll often pinch myself even *more* when trying to alleviate the initial pinching.

I've tried different underwear, switched from jeans to shorts, but it doesn't make much difference. Oh, and driving can be tricky; more than once I've needed to adjust myself with passengers in the car. :?

The issues seems to be mainly that the wide, flat ring, which is great for keeping the cage in place, also presents more surface area to catch loose skin. I tried putting some lube on, but that made the cuff ring move around too much, plus it kept my from being "secure" inside the cage.

I was hunting around on DH Gate, and I found a style with a thicker cuff ring - with a bonus that is also has one of those integrated locks. I'm a little concerned that the only sizes are 45 mm and 50 mm (1.77" and 1.96" respectively) which surrounds my comfort zone of 47mm (1.87, or 1-7/8). I'd imagine that going for the smaller diameter would make more sense, but I'm also concerned about the entire ring being *too* tight, especially if the cage is off and it's just a cock ring for the evening.
0 x
Bird in a Cage

Post by Bird in a Cage »

Tom,

Thanks for keeping us up-to-date. Pinching is my number one adversary in any new cage or modification. Sitting in professional meetings when a pinch occurs makes me sound like I'm developing Tourette's syndrome. Not fun—in multiple ways. Denial is one thing... sharp piercing pain with no warning is something entirely different!

Comfortable back in my MCN Adaptus... and pinch-free.
0 x
Tom Allen
Site Admin

Post by Tom Allen »

Well, I ended up ordering a cage with an integrated lock. It was definitely too short, so I took the integrated lock section and brazed it to my A080. It fit nicely, and the slightly smaller cuff ring (1-3/4", or 45mm) kept things in place pretty well.

I'm not wearing it, though, because I noticed that when taking a shower and getting it really soaped up, I can easily extract myself from the cage portion. :roll:

So right now it's just sitting in my drawer as a nice piece of jewelry. I'm not sure what my next project is going to be.
0 x
Bird in a Cage

Post by Bird in a Cage »

Tom Allen wrote: I'm not wearing it, though, because I noticed that when taking a shower and getting it really soaped up, I can easily extract myself from the cage portion. :roll:
Easy solution... don't shower. :lol:
0 x