U.K. Tax duty for jailbird

For the gearheads in the audience
Puppatch56

U.K. Tax duty for jailbird

Post by Puppatch56 »

Hi everyone.

I've recently ordered a jailbird and it's been stuck at uk customs for four/five days. All the parcel force website is saying is that is being assessed for import tax.

Do I need to pay import tax on the device? It's my first time ordering. If so how do I go about paying it?

Thanks

Pup patch
0 x
McAndrew

Re: U.K. Tax duty for jailbird

Post by McAndrew »

You will have to pay VAT (20%) on the total value, including postage, plus £8.

Once you have been informed you can pay HMRC online. If it's in post rather than a courier then you can collect from a sorting office and pay there.
0 x
Jasmic68

Post by Jasmic68 »

If you want to get into an argument about the UK staying in or leaving Europe then this is a good way to start. At the moment trade between European countries has no duty added to it on delivery. If you import something from a non European country then you have to pay duty. So, vote to leave if you want, but expect any deliveries from Europe that you order to come with a lovely %20 Duty order attached.
0 x
Living in Germany but speaking with a decidedly English accent.
Gymgenius

Post by Gymgenius »

Ouch. You got unlucky. I've had two devices from MM delivered to UK, neither of which attracted any extra payments.

Perhaps there's a customs officer 'familiar' with their products, taking advantage of us UK wearers!
0 x
McAndrew

Post by McAndrew »

It is very much luck of the draw, as to what UK customs look into.
A company like MM have to put the real value of an item on the package. However if a friend bought an item in the States and posted it to you as a gift, the limits are much higher.
0 x