stripped screw in Lori 2D -- HELP!!

For the gearheads in the audience
celticqueens_sub

Re: stripped screw in Lori 2D -- HELP!!

Post by celticqueens_sub »

Well done bud.. A salutory lesson for us all.!
0 x
Owned and loved by Celtic Queen. Her perception is my reality.

Http://www.celticqueen.co.uk

Checkout http://keyheld.blogspot.com/ for lots of good blogs with great advice
Tom Allen
Site Admin
Last orgasm: April 1st, 2018
Orgasms this year: 0

Post by Tom Allen »

I'd like to have higher quality screws however and will start looking for some the right size! There is no excuse for cutting corners on the details. Carbon steel screws instead of aluminum would make better sense.
Earlier it seems that Lori says that she uses stainless steel, not aluminum. An aluminum head would easily strip, but a stainless one shouldn't strip easily. It's possible that you got the one in thousand screws that were a bit funky. Or that you really did snug down too much in the first place. You might consider using a thin stainless washer under the screw head to keep this from happening.

Carbon steel screws would be a little less likely to strip, but they will also be prone to rust and corrosion.

Note: Do not use Aluminum with Stainless. They will galvanize and weld to each other. :shock:

Again, see if you can find a stainless steel, or even a plastic washer for under the screw head. This will absorb some of the torque, and hopefully keep this from happening again. Oh, and check the threads on the unit, itself, to make sure that they aren't bending or on the verge of stripping out.
0 x
KeyheldHubby

Post by KeyheldHubby »

Second Tom's comment about not using an aluminum screw.

DON'T DO IT!

Any time you have different metals in contact with one another - especially in a warm, wet environment - you're setting yourself up for bi-metallic (galvanic) corrosion. Worst of all, the corrosion will occur in places where you won't be able to easily detect it - like underneath the screwhead where the two metals are in contact with each other.

This would be a BAD think...

And I don't just mean unsightly...
0 x
Various home builts for almost 2 years. Current: Jailbird since January 2013.
Chorion

Post by Chorion »

Good points on the screw type - I also heard as much from Lori.
I'll just have to show more restraint in implementing restraint...
Cheers!
0 x