Image sizes

Board announcements, questions from members, etc.
McAndrew

Image sizes

Post by McAndrew »

Please can you tell me:
What's the limit on attached image sizes, so that they don't scroll?
Are there any other restrictions?
0 x
Tom Allen
Site Admin
Last orgasm: April 1st, 2018
Orgasms this year: 0

Re: Image sizes

Post by Tom Allen »

McAndrew wrote:Please can you tell me:
What's the limit on attached image sizes, so that they don't scroll?
Are there any other restrictions?
Those are very good questions.

I don't have very good answers, though. I'll have to dig through the administration settings when I can get to a PC.

I would say that larger pics should probably be hosted on a site like Imgur.com or a Photobucket or Google Picasa account.
0 x
McAndrew

Post by McAndrew »

Tom Allen wrote:
I would say that larger pics should probably be hosted on a site like Imgur.com or a Photobucket or Google Picasa account.
I'm not looking to post large images, just attach the occasional picture to illustrate a comment and it's annoying if it comes up with a scroll bar.

I'm guessing that the limit is about 350 pixels square. Which is fine.
0 x
Tom Allen
Site Admin

Post by Tom Allen »

I'm on my phone and its a PITA to navigate the control panel. The last I remember, the image sizes were given in kb size, not pixels (except for the avatars). But can't remember for sure.
0 x
Locked by LRC

Post by Locked by LRC »

I'm thinking it's around 440x440 pixels. I posted something that was 500x440 and only had to scroll in one direction.
0 x
Current device - MM Custom
Previous devices - CB2000, 3000, 6000, 6000s, Curve
TwistedMister
Last orgasm: October 21st, 2020
Orgasms this year: 4

Post by TwistedMister »

Whether the image scrolls or not depends not only on the size of the image in pixels (dimensions), but also (among other things) on the size and resolution of the viewer's screen, and display settings.

The size of the image file (in Kb) depends on the size of the image in pixels, the color depth, and (if a photo) the image density setting (resolution) of the camera.

An image at 640x480 at 8bpp (bits per pixel) will be much smaller (in file size) than the same image at 32bpp, but the displayed size of the images on the user's screen will be the same (if no changes are made to the user's display settings).

If your monitor is say, 15 inches and the display resolution is set to 640x480, a 640x480 image contained within a web page will have to be scrolled (either within the page, or the whole page in the browser). The same image on a 24" monitor set to 1280x1024 will not have to scroll at all if the browser window is maximized.
0 x
04/07/19 "And then I 'punished' you by making you lick my pussy after I let my other 'boy' fuck me." --Mrs. Twisted
McAndrew

Post by McAndrew »

But this board enforces scrolling on images much smaller than the screen size. It seems to be about 400 pixels and will be set somewhere in the admin controls.

I was just asking what the limit was so that I could keep inside it.

I expect there is also a file size limit, but that doesn't seem to be an issue.
0 x
Tom Allen
Site Admin

Post by Tom Allen »

All I can find is a file size limit - the control panel doesn't have anything about px wide/high.
0 x
TwistedMister

Post by TwistedMister »

McAndrew wrote:But this board enforces scrolling on images much smaller than the screen size. It seems to be about 400 pixels and will be set somewhere in the admin controls.

I was just asking what the limit was so that I could keep inside it.
On my screen (24" widescreen), sometimes images will appear initially with scroll bars, but clicking once within the image will expand it and eliminate the bars. I'm using FireFox 3.0.6., and on another board I visit, large images don't get scroll bars *within* the page, the whole browser window must be scrolled...so, you are right, at least part of this must be controlled by the board software.
0 x
04/07/19 "And then I 'punished' you by making you lick my pussy after I let my other 'boy' fuck me." --Mrs. Twisted
TwistedMister

Post by TwistedMister »

Tom Allen wrote:All I can find is a file size limit - the control panel doesn't have anything about px wide/high.
OK, found it- in addition to controls on image size (attachment_size), there is also some css code that controls the scrolling:

>>>>>.attach-image {
>>>>> margin: 3px 0;
>>>>> width: 100%;
>>>>> max-height: 350px;
>>>>> overflow: auto;
>>>>>}

This is in content.css and may also be duplicated in stylesheet.css. The max-height line controls the size, in pixels, at which point the scroll bar is set.
0 x